Wednesday 16 April 2014

The cord arrived!

The cord arrived and I duly got down to work cutting it into strips as the backing for my borders.

This whole quilt was quilted in strips and added together so when I wanted to add borders to all sides I added the top pieced layer of the borders and then left it. 

It wasn't so difficult to add the wadding - just a bit boring ladder stitching it on by hand and I machine stitched the backing fabric right sides together.  

The join is a bit bulky but the backing fabric is a fine needle cord - lovely and soft and not slippery and shifty like that velveteen I put on the back of my basket sampler.

The whole quilt is quite robust but then I thought it could be a great picnic blanket or travel rug so robust will work well!

I bought the shirting fabric I used as the binding at the same time as the backing.  I love it !  It is smooth like lawn and 60" wide so not many joins -always a good thing! For some reason it makes me think of tigers!

So now the photos...




This quilt makes me giggle inside and smile on the outside!It is 80" square. 

It is made from a whole host of blocks I received in the Wonky House Block Swap organised brilliantly by Jane @ Jane's Fabrics and Quilts. My thanks go to wonky house block makers Melissa Albertson, Miki Willa, Linnea Amodio, Leanne, Laura Ludwig, Christine Horlbeck, Sandra Rocca, Chiska Williams, Linda McKenzie , Peggy Bennett, and Helen who made a couple of extra blocks for me and there were many others who made trees, stars and four patches!  

I made the title in the border using the 'Just My Type' alphabet created by Kirsty @ Quietplay.  

I backed the quilt with a fine orange needlecord from Shaukat

And it is quilted using my Aurifil 28 mainly in the ditch but some extra details added to the blocks!

End of speech and overcome with joy!


Finish Along 2014

11 comments:

  1. It is fabulous vibrant and a special quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great quilt! Makes me want to start building house blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally amazing - I love the words around the outside (singing along in my head..), and the brightness and colourfulness of it is fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are on fire! Love it and you brought together all those blocks so well. Your eye for these things is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fabulous - I love the mix of colours and the song lyric border is a touch of genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so freakin' awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, you might have all your finishes for Q2 done by the end of the week at this rate ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that was quick arriving, no time to be distracted! Superb!!!
    I can see why you are so joyful it looks fantastic.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are certainly powering through them. Another great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it Nicky, definitely a very cheerful quilt

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...